Take common-sense steps to protect your online identity and reduce the chance that you will be targeted by a scammer, hacker or identity thief
Good practices include:
- Review websites privacy policies
- Does the website sell your information to third parties?
- Do you grant rights to any information or photographs that you post on the site?
- Is your username, e-mail address, or identifying information posted on the site
- Set Strong Passwords
- Avoid using information that is in your family tree – i.e. mother’s maiden name, birthdates, etc.
Respect the privacy of your living relatives
Opt-out of browser tracking – Visit About Ads to find out which companies track your online activity and to opt-out of tracking from participating companies